Sunday, June 20, 2010



So, tell me: how is one to know the difference between a callous and a blister? On the bottom of one´s little toes, at my age, in the poor light? Answer: poke it with a needle and drag a piece of thread through it. If it runs like a river; its a blister. That is how my toe spent the afternoon, with a piece of thread strung through it as I walked through the streets of Estrella. Hey, at least my pedicure is still holding up; people are too taken with the different colors on each toe to notice the pus-saturated piece of thread hanging out of my sandal!

A tough day today, maybe because the ground was as hard as concrete after two days of no rain. I don´t know. Not that it is Spanish weather- more like Irish. No rain but I still think no more than 60F degrees. Long sleeves and a rain jacket all day. We only were supposed to walk 14 miles, but Claudio our Swiss translator (he is the go-between for me, with my french, Italian for Stefania, and German for the Bavarians and the Austrian- whom no one understands!) wanted to check out the smaller albergues. We ended up walking up and down this little dos-Diegos town for another 3K before finally heading to the municipal albergue, which is great.

Short post, as Cecelia wants to get on. Besides, I've been told that her blog is much funnier. Of course it is, its fiction!

4 comments:

  1. Nancy, We are loving the Hanifin Girls' Blogs ! .. Thinking of you both.. Sounds a wee bit rough... but think of the life long memories you and C will have ... Proud of you my friend !.... The boys did well yesterday on their bike trip to VT.. we missed you at the MAC's evening soiree though .. Much love K and Team Paton

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done to both of you...especially cecelia for putting up with all the oldies..don't worry there'l be a lovely pedro down the road to make it all more interesting...as for irish weather we are basking in 25degrees, blue skies and sunburn and its fab...wouldn't be able to walk 10km let alone 26 in it so i'm very impressed. I'm sure the feet will feel better soon, blisters to be be expected..better than callouses which i don't know much about but seem to be way more permanent fixtures as i recall which wouldn't be good!! how do iget to cecelia's blog if its the palce to be??? lotsa love julie et al xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. chanifin@worpress.com I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. chanifin@wordpress.com sorry left out the ¨d¨

    ReplyDelete