Thursday, June 17, 2010











One word: brutal.

My hips hurt (from the backpack waist belt) my shoulders hurt (from trying to alleviate some of the weight off my hips) my feet seem permanently waterlogged (from all the rain and the 50F degree weather) and my eyes ache (from waking up at 2:30am with jetleg and listening to the symphony of ronfleurs until 6am) and today we walked 27K. We sit in a tiny hamlet called LarrasoaƱa, about ten miles from Pamplona. How we will even get out of bed, let alone get to Pamplona is a mystery awaiting us all. We walked most of the day with Theo the Dutchman who is dragging a chariot of supplies behind him. He is nice if only for the fact that he is the only person we've come across who can speak decent English. Cecelia has been feeling rather out-of-it as most pilgrims thus far are not Spanish. The vernacular has been French. We left Theo at 1:30pm. Cecelia decided to try the extra 5K this afternoon in order to have an easier and earlier arrival into Pamplona. All I know is that I will be completely guilt-free tomorrow, come what may! For now we are sitting in the only stable in this one-horse town, sharing a San Miguel and awaiting our 11€ pilgrims' meal. That and another 6€ gets you a shower and a bed. A bed with 27 other pilgrims! Please God the earplugs work tonight!
Adios mis amigos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment