Friday, June 25, 2010

My new name is...

Tinkerbell. At least that´s who I felt like today after Cecelia and I posted 4 kilos of clothes off to Santiago. Even though I only dropped about 5 of the 20-something pounds, I felt like it was at least half the weight of the pack. What a difference! I suppose lugging it all around for 10 days would make one fairly fit to carry five pounds less too. Who knows. I could wake up tomorrow and start kvetching all over again! Though I doubt it!

We took the bus out of Santo Domingo de la Calzada, for about five minutes before we passed the village of Granon. The driver dropped me off at the next village. I met up with three of our group. Stefania and Cecelia stayed on the bus. Cecelia´s knee is locking up on her, and Stefania is worried about a hernia (she had an operation for one last year so I guess she has experience in these matters?!) The walk was beautiful but HOT: We are now in Castillo y Leon and there are nothing but wheat and barley fields all around. One can easily see why this land was hotly contested 200+ years ago, when land truly equalled wealth. It is so arable and easily accessible for reaping, if you will. Anyway, back to the HOT. We will have to leave by 6am tomorrow if we are to avoid the real heat of the day. We have a 17 mile walk, with hills tomorrow (shhh, don´t tell you-know-who) so we don´t need the midday sun to add to our travails.
We are in a small town in Belorado, Spain. About 40K from Burgos. If that means anything to anybody out there. We have all gathered in Stall No. 2 of this Two-horser. We have all just communed to watch the Brasil v Portugal match. There are mostly Spaniards here, but it was lovely to see the enthusiasm of the three Brasilian girls in front of us, sporting their yellow and green. Everyone was happy with the tie. Its so fun to be in a soccer-mad country during the World Cup. Most are astonished with Cecelia and me. They can´t believe we know anything about football at all. When I explain to them that probably 90% of American kids play soccer they are dumbstruck. And now, look who´s in the next round? Not Italy, not France not.....tonight´s match is in an hour and a half. A big one: Spain v Chile. I think this place will be packed. If thats possible in such a small village! So, we´ll leave in a few minutes, get our Pilgrims Menu and reconvene. ¨Pilgrims Menu?¨ you ask? In Spain, people don´t eat til at least 9:00pm. On the Camino there are always small restaurants, in the smallest of towns, that cater to the peregrinos. Usually the meal costs 9 euros and includes two courses, bread and wine. Lots of wine. It is very cheap. And very good. At our Albergue I noticed that they sell wine themselves. A bottle of Casa Crianza for 4 euros. Ooooh, life en Espana is good!
Alrighty then, enough said from here. Lets hope Spain wins tonight, moves on to the next round, and makes the world around us a little more happy!
Hasta luega!

No comments:

Post a Comment