Sunday, July 11, 2010

Viva Espana!





I´m sitting in a Meson Rural, 40K from Santiago. We walked 27K over hill and dale to get here. It is beautiful. The albergue sits on a river. It is part of an old stone farm complex. There´s this restaurant next door to it and little else besides incredible views and cows looing. The sad part is that both Mary and Cecelia are lying in their bunks. Sick. Mary is nauseous and Cecelia has a mild fever and is also queazy. We don´t know what it is. It could be a bug, it could be some water they drank, or it could be dehydration. They are not drinking enough, thats for sure. It could also be the bocadillo sandwich that Mary ate after hiking 6 hours with it stuffed and stewing in her backpack! Oh well, if anyone else comes down with it, we'll know for sure.

The preview to the World Cup match is on the tv over my head. There are 8 minutes to the kickoff and the small group here, mostly pilgrims and mostly Spanish, are revved up.

We had a lovely walk today, though it took us 2 hours to get our first coffee. Not a good thing. It is Sunday afterall and everything is closed until, I dunno, 11am? They open for a couple of hours and then all is closed again. I don´t mind, but the cafe con leche is quite tasty here.

We can´t beleive that we are just two days from Santiago. We will have two fairly easy days of 22K or so. Easy if everyone is feeling ok. I limped into this village myself. I tightened my boots yesterday, a tad too much. My ankle is sore. Very sore. Hopefully tomorrow it´ll be a memory.

Oooh! The bar went quiet- Holland´s national anthem. I wonder if they´ll explode when Spain´s starts!
This post will be short- its too distracting to write with the World Cup final starting over one´s head! They just turned up the volume for ¨Viva Espana¨! I´ll upload some photos and be done. Wish us all well for the next 48 hours- we will need prayers for the final push I´m sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment